Sunday, January 1, 2017

TGBC: Book 1 - Nightmares!

Never let it be said that my days off go to waste! January 1st has a little more than an hour left, and I have already finished two novels! Granted, they were both started last year, but I finished them both today.

The first novel of the year, The Blackthorn Key by Kevin Sands is not a Great Bookshelf Caper book. It is a work book, and it was wonderful and you should read it, but I'm not going to be talking about it here.

The first Bookshelf Caper novel of the year is Nightmares! by Jason Segel and Kirsten Miller. I am using a caveat already! This book would come first on really no one's bookshelf if they organize by any system I can imagine, but this is one of my Middle School Book Group's novels this month, so I'm allowed to have jumped to the S's.

Let's do this.

Title: Nightmares! 
Author: Jason Segel and Kirsten Miller
Status: New read

Where did I acquire it?
This was a Book Fair buy back when I worked as an elementary school library assistant. I'm a fan of Jason Segel, so when I heard he'd written a book, I bought it and then never read it.

How long have I owned it without reading it?
Roughly two years

Thoughts?
I gave this one three stars on Goodreads, which is Cassie-rating-speak for I liked it, but I'm probably not going to read it again. I think this book tackles a really important set of issues for 10-13-year-olds, and when looked at for that age group, the book is well done. But I am not its target audience, and as an adult reading, I found the story a bit predictable and a bit heavy-handed. I would recommend this to a lot of my students, because there's a lot of value in it for them, but it's not a book that crosses over to adult readers as well as it could.

Status after reading?
I'm holding onto this one through my discussion on the 24th, but then this will land on the Giveaway pile.

Numbers:
Books included in the GBC project: 415 (updated from yesterday's post upon return of a book I loaned my brother)
Books tackled so far: 1
Books still unread: 98 (see above comment)

So that's one freebie and one from the shelf, which means my next book probably ought to be a TeenLitRocks review. See you when that's done!

1 comment:

  1. All thanks to this great man called Dr Agbazara the great spell caster that bring back the joy in me by helping me to bring back my lover who break up with me Four months ago but now with me with the help of Dr Agbazara the great love spell caster. All thanks goes to him you can also contact him for help if you need him in times of troubles via: ( agbazara@gmail.com ) you can also WhatsApp on this Number +2348104102662

    ReplyDelete