Thursday, January 26, 2017

TGBC: Teen Lit Rocks title

Title: Disenchanted: The Trials of Cinderella
Author: Megan Morrison
Status: New read

How did I acquire it?
One of the gift books from my boss.

How long have I owned it without reading it? 
About a month.

Thoughts?
I have fallen in love with Megan Morrison. Not only am I convinced that she is a better version of myself (she got her start writing Harry Potter fanfiction, she's currently teaching drama to middle schoolers, she went to school for theatre, and she writes about fairy tales -- we are the same person), but she has created a fairy tale world I never want to leave.

I'm not going to give this fairy tale adaptation the Fairy Tale Project treatment like I did with Grounded, mostly because this is not a traditional retelling of Cinderella, and actually barely follows the story we all know. Cinderella loses a slipper and flees from the prince within the first 19 pages, and the ball is over and done with before we even hit the halfway point. And I don't care. See, this Cinderella has much bigger things to worry about than winning the prince's heart at some ball. She has to find a way to fix unfair labor standards that threaten the working class of her kingdom. She has to stand up for those who can't and be a voice for those who are being silenced. And if she thinks about the prince at all, it's because she hopes she can show him the things that are wrong and convince him to do something about it. This Cinderella is a revolutionary -- and I love it.

I love every character in this story. I love the good guys -- Ella, who is fiery and passionate and reckless and stubbornly uncharming. Prince Dash, who wants to be a better person and fights against his privilege. Serge, who is losing his magic because nothing about being a fairy godfather is real anymore, and Jasper, who rekindles the flame of hope inside Serge (and other things, I'm hoping, as the series progresses (I SHIP IT, IF THAT WASN'T CLEAR)). I love the middle guys -- Sharlyn, Ella's stepmother, who's not wicked, she's just business-savvy and pragmatic in a way that crimps Ella's idealism. Clover and Linden, the "wicked" stepsiblings, who are a bit vain and abrasive, but never truly evil. Lavaliere, who's the snotty brat on the surface but with a heart of . . . like, tarnished silver underneath. I even love the bad guys -- Lady Lavier, Bejeweled the corrupt head fairy godmother, King Clement. Everyone is just so wonderful, I love them all.

But most of all, I love how REAL this world that Morrison has created feels. It never falls into "fairy tale world" vagueness, and I can't stress enough how refreshing that is. This book starts out as Cinderella and then becomes a fairy tale version of the Triangle Shirtwaist Factory Fire, and there's something bold about that, make no mistake. This book has gumption, and it says something, and I want so many more books from this world. I am thrilled that the internet tells me I will eventually have six. I only wish that number was higher.

Status after reading: 
This one stays, until it comes out in paperback, which I will then buy so that my copies match. Or, let's be real, I'll probably buy Grounded in hardback because I'm not going to wait to buy the rest of these until they're in paperback, so...

Numbers:
In the project: 418
Tackled so far: 10
Still unread: 91
Giving away: 4

No comments:

Post a Comment