Tuesday, March 14, 2017

TGBC: Round Three: Doll Bones

Title: Doll Bones
Author: Holly Black
Status: New read

How did I acquire it? I bought this at a Scholastic book fair because it had garnered much acclaim.

How long have I owned it without reading it? About three years.

Thoughts?
I know Holly Black by reputation only, as a writer of weird and dark modern/urban fantasy, so I had those expectations going into this book, and those expectations were not quite met. This is a story, largely, about imagination and growing up and hard it can be to have the first and do the second. This was a story I really identified with. I went through what these three kids went through. I was an imaginative kid, making up elaborate fantasy stories and acting them out with my friends. And I hit an age, around twelve, when overnight, it seemed, that became no longer something my friends had any interest in doing. They were suddenly too old for it, and that was a rough transition for me as a kid.

So I loved seeing that represented so authentically. And I loved even more that you can absolutely read this book as a weird, dark modern.urban fantasy, where the doll is a ghost and it is leading these three kids on this elaborate and dangerous quest -- but you don't have to. It's left ambiguous and open-ended, and I really appreciate that the author doesn't tell us if it was "real" or not, because in the end, that doesn't matter. What matters is how this friendship survives the events of the story, and that is written just beautifully.

Status after reading:
This one is staying on the shelf.

Numbers:
Even with a beautiful color coded spreadsheet, I still apparently can't keep track of numbers correctly. I'm almost positive these are finally correct.
Books in the project: 430
Books tackled so far: 37
Books still unread: 84
Books giving away: 16

No comments:

Post a Comment