Thursday, March 30, 2017

TGBC: Round Three: The Readers of Broken Wheel Recommend

I feel like I haven't read a book for the project in ages, and that's largely because I've been slogging my way through obligatory books, but one of those obligatory book is Libba Bray's The Diviners. This is the third time I've tried to read it, and I'm 150 pages in and still have no motivation to pick it up. So sorry, friends who love this book and keep telling me to read it. I'm calling it. I'm giving it away and moving on.

Title: The Readers of Broken Wheel Recommend
Author: Katarina Bivald
Status: Reread

How did I acquire it? 
Bought it last week, and it happened to fit into this round

How long since I've read it?
About a year

Thoughts?
I don't often pick up realistic adult fiction. It's not typically my jam. But this title popped up last year in a recommended title list on some library site, and the synopsis intrigued me, so I read it and really enjoyed it. Last week I had a super crappy day and I needed some retail therapy and I was tired of slogging through boring books I was obligated to read, so I treated myself to a book off my "Want to Own" list, then treated myself to a reread.

I really like this book. The basic premise is that a directionless young woman from Sweden (Sara) falls into a correspondence with an elderly woman in Iowa (Amy). They bond over their love of books and literature, and eventually Sara agrees to come visit for a summer. Only when she arrives in the tiny, dying, middle-of-nowhere town of Broken Wheel, she discovers that Amy has passed away.

The townspeople insist that she stay, and so she does. She gets to know them, and in her desire to find Amy, she decides to take Amy's extensive library, move it into Amy's empty storefront in the pitiful downtown, and start a book store. The residents of Broken Wheel cannot fathom why they would need a bookstore, but Sara perseveres and eventually they come around.

Sara changes the town. She falls in love with it, and they fall in love with her, and by the end of the summer, the town will do anything to keep her from leaving -- including launching a marriage scheme.

It would be really easy for this book to miss the mark and veer off into the ridiculous and overblown, but it doesn't. I love books about books and about the connection stories bring us, and this is a beautiful one. It's simple. It's understated. And it's heartfelt and real. You fall in love with Broken Wheel along with Sara, and with Sara along with Broken Wheel, and I enjoyed this book as much the second time around.

Status After Rereading?
I just bought it! I'm not giving it away! :)

Numbers
Decided to stop holding on to all the old ARCs from a year and a half ago that I was supposed to read for my book blog. So the giveaway number has jumped up significantly. I've also acquired several new books from library weeding, indulgent book buying, and PaperbackSwap.

Books in the project: 440
Books tackled so far: 50
Books still unread: 75
Books giving away: 27


No comments:

Post a Comment