Wednesday, March 1, 2017

TGBC: Round Two: Red Queen

Title: Red Queen
Author: Victoria Aveyard
Status: New read

How did I acquire it?
I bought this title with Christmas gift cards because I had a coworker who wouldn't shut up about how good it was.

How long have I owned it without reading it?
Not long. Just a couple months.

Thoughts?
The mark of a good plot twist is that before it happens, you don't see it coming, and after it happens, you don't know how you didn't see it coming. Red Queen got the drop on me not once but twice, so good job there because that is not easy to do.

And I like the world that Aveyard has created and the characters she's drawn. I like that nothing is straightforward or simple. I appreciate all the expectations she set up and then pulled out from under you as you read.

And yet, I am so torn on how I feel having finished this book. Because the whole time I was reading, the overwhelming feeling was "I have read this book before." Red Queen is Hunger Games meets Game of Thrones meets The Selection meets superpowers, and I want all those things to combine in a way that is innovative and new, but they don't entirely. I have heard this story before. I've even heard these plot twists before. They're fairly classic plot twists, when you get right down to it.

So I don't know. I enjoyed it. I was invested in the characters. I was fascinated by the world. But it still has that overwhelming feeling of "First installment of a YA dystopian fantasy trilogy." Because it's yet another first installment of a YA dystopian fantasy trilogy. And that doesn't make it bad. It just makes it, for lack of a better word and at the risk of sounding pretentious, a bit derivative.


I'm gonna have to ruminate on this one before I finally settle on how I feel, I think.

Status after reading?
I'm keeping this one on the bookshelf because when I get around to reading the final two installments, it may really end up surprising me, and if it does, I'll be sad to have given away book one and have to reacquire it.

Numbers:
Books in the project: 425
Books tackled so far: 26
Books still unread: 86
Books giving away: 13

No comments:

Post a Comment