Sunday, July 23, 2017

TGBC Outlier: What Goes Up


Title: What Goes Up
Author: Katie Kennedy
Status: New read

How did I acquire it?
This was in my latest batch of Teen Lit Rocks titles

How long have I owned it without reading it?
Mmm, since however long ago I got that box.

Thoughts?
 Rosa and Eddie are juniors in high school and they're smarter than you. They're smarter than most people, and that's why they've been selected to test for placement in a special division of NASA. If they place first and second, they'll become the third team to be trained to make first contact with alien lifeforms. But in the midst of their testing and training, the unexpected happens, and it might be up to these teenagers to save the human race as we know it.

I really enjoyed this book. I was worried, when I started it, that it would be too sciency and it would go over my head, but Kennedy handles the science aspect very well. It's obviously there; it would be jarring it if wasn't. But it was never necessary for me to understand the science. I just had to believe that Rosa and Eddie understood the science.

This story is driven by the characters. You care about the journey that they are on because you care about them. Rosa, Eddie, and other focal characters like Trevor and Reg and Eddie's grandmother, they are the focal points, and they are all drawn beautifully.

When the science fiction comes out in full force, and the aliens appear (as you know they're bound to), and it gets all mind-twisty, I'll admit that I got a little lost. But I was able to latch onto those central characters and keep reading, and I enjoyed even what I didn't totally understand. Read this book for the characters, and you won't go wrong.

Status after reading?
Keeping this one -- I enjoyed it a lot!

Numbers
Books in the project: 464
Books tackled so far: 77
Books still unread: 75
Books giving away: 42

No comments:

Post a Comment