Sunday, August 27, 2017

TGBC: Round Five: Justina Chen

Going to tackle both of Justina's books in one post.

Title: North of Beautiful
Author: Justina Chen
Status: Reread

How did I acquire it?
I bought it after reading Return to Me because I liked the author a lot.

How long has it been since I read it?
This was my first reread, so ... four-ish years? Something like that.

Thoughts?
This book falls near the top of my list of underappreciated YA books. It deserves a lot more love than I typically see it getting. There are so many wonderful, powerful things happening in this story. I love the characters, even the ones that you hate in the world of the story; I love the growth we see everyone go through; I love that the world Chen creates in this novel is messy and complicated and shaded with gray. The characters and situations feel real, and I was so invested from the beginning, even knowing how the story would end.

Status after reading?
This one stays on the shelf.

Title: Return to Me
Author: Justina Chen
Status: Reread

How did I acquire it?
This was a Teen Lit Rocks monthly book club a few years ago, so I was sent a copy for that.

How long has it been since I read it?
About four and a half years, I think.

Thoughts?
I gave this book a really positive review when we read it for Teen Lit Rocks. I remember really enjoying it. And I enjoyed it on the reread -- until the end. Or, at least, until what should have been the end. Because the book had about eight different endings. I thought I had reached the last chapter again and again, and that was the biggest issue I was left with on the reread. She took the story too far. She showed us too much. The last seven chapters, and especially the epilogue, were unnecessary. I don't need to have every detail filled in and every loose end tied up. And I don't need a seven-year-jump epilogue to assure me that everything worked out exactly as our main character dreamed it would -- with one notable exception to keep it real, I guess?

Status after reading?
I'm glad that this book introduced me to Justina Chen, I'm glad that I reread it, but I don't need to keep it on the shelf any longer.

Numbers:
Books in the project: 475
Books tackled so far: 88
Books still to read: 81
Books given away: 45

No comments:

Post a Comment