Sunday, August 6, 2017

TGBC: Round Four: Roar

Title: Roar
Author: Cora Carmack
Status: New read

How did I acquire it?
This was one of my latest Teen Lit Rocks ARCs.

How long have I owned it without reading it?
A couple months.

Thoughts?
I like this one. The world of Caelira is beset by storms -- wild, furious, and nearly sentient. The rulers of Caelira's kingdoms are supposed to be able to tame the storms and so protect their people. But Aurora, heir to the kingdom of Pavan, is no Stormling. She has not a touch of magic about her, a secret she and her mother will do anything to protect, including arranging a marriage to a cruel and vicious Stormling prince. And then Aurora learns about people like her, born without magic, but able to tame the storms nonetheless.

It's a captivating story. I love the world. I love the way that magic works, that it exists as part of these storms, and I love the way that we are opened to understanding the world bit by little bit, and only as Rora learns and understands. That element reconciles me a little to the shifting perspectives, which are often jarring, though I still believe the story would be stronger if we kept to Rora and this mysterious, villainous Stormlord.

This is Cormack's first YA novel. Her other books are all adult romance, and it shows here. This is definitely a steamier novel than most YA goes for, but I did appreciate that it's always tasteful, never graphic, and I truly appreciated the amount of respect and consent-seeking we are always shown in the romance. I was a little worried at the start that I was going to absolutely hate the obvious love interest because he's your classic strong-man protector type. But I really appreciate how Carmack worked to subvert that trope. He may have started out that way, but he grew the more he connected with Roar, and I have high hopes for that continuing in the sequels.

Status after reading?
I'm keeping this one.

Numbers?
Books in the Project: 472
Books tackled so far: 86
Books still left to read: 82

Books giving away: 44

No comments:

Post a Comment