Sunday, August 6, 2017

TGBC: Round Four: Sarah and Rebekah

Title: Sarah; Rebekah (books 1 and 2 of the Women of Genesis trilogy)
Author: Orson Scott Card

How did I acquire them? Rebekah I've had for ages, since high school. Sarah I got through Paperback Swap a few months ago.

How long has it been since I read them?
I last read both of these books in high school, so about 12 years?

Thoughts?
I loved these books in high school. I remember being really impressed with the depth of Biblical history explored, and I remember thinking that they were quite feminist in their narrative approach. And having read them again, I don't disagree with those old opinions, exactly. I'm just more aware of how much of a racist ass their author is. Which severely limited my enjoyment.

I only reread Sarah. There was a lot that I liked about it, though I did find Sarah to be a little cloying and a little too perfect, for all her supposed flaws. The religion aspect also struck me as a bit more heavy-handed this time around. But what really soured me was the treatment of Hagar and Ishmael. Look, you can read what you want into Bible stories, and you can craft and expand these characters however you choose. But now that I'm much more aware of Isaac as a kind of starting point for the Judeo-Christian people and Ishmael as the same for the Arabs, and also being much more aware that Orson Scott Card is a racist tool . . . the characterization of Hagar and Ishmael as wholly selfish, vindictive, cruel, and out for the destruction of Sarah and Isaach does not sit well.

I did not reread Rebekah.

Status after reading?
I'm not going to keep these.

Numbers:
Books in the Project: 472
Books tackled so far: 86
Books still left to read: 82 (My library may have weeded the Teen section. I may have taken home eight books)
Books giving away: 44

No comments:

Post a Comment